Welcome to the XINU for Routers Main Page. This is for developing documentation for our development process that began in the summer of 2006. As this is a wiki, you can sign up and begin adding and editing content, uploading images, and generating the needed documentation for our efforts.
- Infect WRT54GL Routers with a XINU kernel
- Develop XINU to a point where it can control the router's basic functions
- Use this platform for a course in embedded systems and/or networking
- Hardware (Mod that LinkSys!)
- How to connect to a modified router
- Our Project's Directory Structure
- And then there was light: the Common Firmware Environment
- OpenWRT (When all else fails, steal it from Linux!)
- Important OpenWRT places of interest
- XINU (an O/S of our own)
- TODO: (concrete tasks)
- Lab Setup Tasks
- Complete three more backend conversions when additional parts arrive.
- Securely epoxy transceivers into front casing.
- XINU Tasks
- Complete wired NIC driver.
- Start on wireless NIC driver and "RoboSwitch".
- Integrate XINU TCP/IP stack.
- Lab Setup Tasks
- TOTHINK: (abstract goals and wishlists)
- Learn more about the memory structure and underlying hardware.
- How should the loader discover hardware parameters if CFE does not implement device enumeration?
- How do we safely access flash memory without bricking the router?
- http://linux.junsun.net/porting-howto/ - Linux MIPS Porting Guide
- http://www.version6.net/gallery/WRT54GL - WRT54GL Internals Pics Gallery
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G - WRT54G Wiki
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture - MIPS Architecture
- http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/gnu-linker/ - How To Write Linker Scripts
- http://www.embedded.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=0LLEHS3YT5KWUQSNDBCSKHSCJUMEIJVN?articleID=9900048 - Linux Porting Guide
- http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs2504/spring2006/MIPSDocs/MD00090-2B-MIPS32PRA-AFP-02.50.pdf - MIPS32 Architecture For Programmers