Working in coordination with Dr. Dennis Brylow a senior design project was set up to create a piece of software to allow the direct inclusion of Windows based computers in the development and testing of XINU operating systems. The goal is to create a front end program that has all the functionally of current shell based front end tied into a graphical user interface. The project codename, WinX, was installed at the beginning of the implementation phase; ultimately the software may be released under a different name for various legal reasons.
- Working Objective Statement
- Design and implement a Windows program to allow Windows-based computers to participate directly in the MSCS Systems Lab for remote testing and execution of embedded operating system kernels by 28 April 2008 at a cost of $0.
- Current developers include:
- Adam Koehler
- Nicholas McMillan
- Matthew Thomson
- Christopher Swiderski
Phases of WinX
- The design phase spanned the whole first academic semester starting in September 2007 and ending in December 2007.
- The implementation stage will span the whole second academic semester starting in January 2008 and ending in late April 2008.
- Major Implemenation Phases
- Internal: January - Alpha Stage (Completed)
- Alpha: March 12, 2008 (Completed)
April 9, 2008April 16, 2008 (Active)
- Live: April 28, 2008
WinX implementation is an ongoing process and members of the software development team can access the subversion repository at http://xinu.mscs.mu.edu/svn/winx/ to view the current status of the software.
The team has uploaded several files for external beta testing of WinXINU.
- Step 1: Copy the WinXINU-Installer folder via SSH to your desktop: web location ~ http://www.mscs.mu.edu/~nmcmilla/WinXINU-Installer/
- Step 2: Go into Cygwin Install Folder
- 2a) Run Setup.exe
- 2b) Select Install from Local - Folder is the only other folder in the Cygwin Install directory
- 2c) Click ALL to set it to Uninstall all packages its at top of package selection screen
- 2d) Click Devel package to set it to Install it is found within in the package listings
- Step 3: Change the first line of the compiler/makeVars file (found in your XINU code directory) to the location of the WinXINU cross compiler bin
Example: MIPS_ROOT = "C:\Documents and Settings\nmcmilla\Desktop\winx\compiler\cross\bin"
- Step 4: Run WinXINU executable
- Step 5: Navigate to config tab, change location of cygwin\bin to location on local machine
- Step 6: Navigate to config tab, change location of compile directory where the Makefile is located for final image build
WinXINU Testing Feedback
Use a structure similar to the following: *name **Error/Comment Title ***Description of error/comment
- Improve cygwin installation process.
- (Didn't work very well on a computer that had already been setup.) - Outside scope, no its not
- Get rid of stuff in devel package that is unnecessary
I should be able to click 'make' or 'make clean' whenever a damn well feel like.Fixed: 4/19/08 by cswiders
- and there should be a mechanism for making other targets as well. - Outside scope
Implement 'Errors and Warnings' checkbox.Fixed: 4/19/08 by cswiders
- Perhaps only query morbius at most once per second (disabling the 'update now' button for a second)
Connect to backend, select mips-console, program complains and goes on anyway. No good.Fixed: 4/21/08 by nmcmilla - Checks whether connected to backend or not, if connected, continues with process, if not, then runs normally. Run 'testsuite' and compare output to linux version (ignoring the VT100 thing).Fixed: 4/16/08 by akoehler
- also typing a single \ should produce a single slash. Not typing \\ to produce
Verify *ALL* control characters are not printed.Fixed: 4/16/08 by akoehler
- Is there any way that hitting backspace won't jump to the top and back down?
- Something with 'mips-console' and xinu just going, seems...odd.
- if the download fails it still keeps on a truckin'.
- Continue session doesn't continue session until a client side character is typed.
- Also, I can backspace over previous characters after typing ctrl-space.
- Perhaps, ctrl-space should also be the continue code (once will pause, twice will continue).
Clear history in the interaction tabs (or even have a value to specify lines of scrollback).Fixed: 4/18/08 by akoehler xsh$ clear (makes WinX go boom).Fixed: 4/16/08 by akoehler
- 'Command request timed out' ... clearly it did not.
serial port 2
Should have option to connect to same backend2 name as serial port 1 (if connected on 1). Fixed: 4/18/08 by akoehler Clicking cancel in the select specific backend2 should not produce an error message.Fixed: 4/17/08 by nmcmilla Connect to preferred when already connected produces no warnings.Fixed: 4/17/08 by nmcmilla Connecting to backend2 hops to the top of the textbox.Fixed: 4/21/08 by nmcmilla Is there any way that hitting backspace won't jump to the top and back down?- NO Ctrl-space should work here too. And make sure continue session still works on this pane.Fixed: 4/21/08 by nmcmilla
New user profile should auto-set in config after creation.Fixed: 4/18/08 by akoehler
- The color seems funky (tab color doesn't match background color).
- Needs icon.
- Needs About.
- Needs 'command descriptions'
- Possibly needs a quick start guide in the help menu.
No keybindings for 'New Profile,' 'Save Profile,' etc.Fixed 4/21/08 by nmcmilla